At Mid-Minnesota Federal Credit Union, we are hitting a big milestone this June — our 60th Anniversary. It has been an amazing journey so far. We are incredibly thankful for the years of service we have been able to give to you as we look forward to many more to come. In honor of this big event, let us reflect on the highlights of the past 60 years and what made MMFCU what it is today.
- June 1956 - Seven Northwest Paper Company employees wanted a better way to bank. They each deposited $25, along with their vision, and the Northwest Employees Credit Union was born.
- August 1970 - The Northwest Employees Credit Union changed to a community charter and became the Brainerd Community Federal Credit Union, which served people living or working within 10 miles of the Brainerd Post Office. At the time, the credit union totaled 1,245 members and $543,000 in assets.
- April 1982 - Over the years, the Brainerd Community Federal Credit Union had undergone a few mergers with other small surrounding credit unions and now had 9,400 members with offices in Crosby and Brainerd. In this month, they changed their name to what it is today: Mid-Minnesota Federal Credit Union.
- 1996 - By this time, MMFCU expanded even further and acquired Little Falls, Staples and Alexandria, with new offices in Staples and Alexandria. In this year, our first MMFCU website was launched.
- July 2002 - MMFCU hit $100,000,000 in total assets and had 27,201 members!
- January 2004 - The new office in Little Falls was completed, which resulted in 54 percent member growth. Our full-service locations included Brainerd, Crosby, Staples and Little Falls. We also had an automated express branch in Alexandria and a drive-up facility in Baxter.
- June 2006 - The Grand Opening for our fifth full-service branch in Baxter occurred. We also celebrated Mid-Minnesota’s 50th anniversary.
- April 2008 - The Grand Opening for our sixth full-service branch in Alexandria.
- June 2010 - Mid-Minnesota received the Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award for our implementation of the Education Network, which gave educational opportunity for all ages.
- December 2011 - The Grand Opening for our seventh full-service branch in Pequot Lakes.
- March 2015 - The Grand Opening for our eighth full-service branch in Twin Valley. MMFCU now serves all of Becker, Cass, Crow Wing, Douglas, Morrison, Norman, Todd, and Wadena Counties, as well as numerous townships in Otter Tail County, Aitkin, McGregor, and Palisade.
- August 2015 - The Grand Opening of our ninth full-service branch in Detroit Lakes.
Today we are proud to say that we have grown to well over 37,000 members and have over $257,678,149 in assets! However, we wouldn’t be where we are today without YOU. You are what makes Mid-Minnesota Federal Credit Union what it is today and it has been amazing to see how we’ve grown over the past 60 years. Thank you for your continued support and membership.
To see how far we’ve come and all the services we offer, please visit our website at mmfcu.org.